It’s fast, easy, convenient, and there’s a never-ending stream of singles at your disposal. Giddy up! But wait, is online dating really everything it’s cracked up to be?
Everyday now there seems to be more apps and websites that are coming out claiming that their website can help you meet the person of your dreams. These websites follow through with those claims in terms of helping you meet people. From the moment you sign up you can browse through hundreds of singles based on either their location, appearance, income, and countless other options that are quickly at your disposal. So you select and unselect a few boxes and suddenly you have in front of you all the singles that have everything you want.
But now what?
Building Your Profile
If you’re serious about meeting someone on a dating website you should know immediately that the competition out there is very real. Your profile is the first thing that people see and it should be a good representation of yourself.
- Post photos that aren’t you’re best photo! If you consider a photo a 10 of you, do not post it! Upload photos that are your 6/7’s. Post photos that dont make you look perfect.
- This way when you do meet your date, he will instantly let you know how beautiful you are in person and that your photos don’t do you justice. Making you feel great, and him feel confident he made the right choice in asking you out. A win win!
- Avoid big group shots that make you hard to spot.
- Don’t you dare post a bathroom selfie! Ask your friend (or if you’re located in Orange County or Los Angeles, ask us!) to snap some shots of you.
- Pick photos that show you can have fun but avoid blurry nightclub photos that make you seem like you’re just into partying.
- Take the time to find your best angle and experiment with different lighting (there are even YouTube tutorials for this now).
- Unfortunately a bad photograph is the difference between someone deciding to read more and someone deciding that you look a little creepy.
Fill Out Your About Me
This one is so important. Your about me is probably just as important as your photograph. Your appearance might make people curious but your personality is what ultimately makes them decide whether or not to send a message.
- With online dating you want to be as friendly and as approachable as possible so avoid any negativity in your profile!
- Describe what you want in a partner not what you don’t want.
- Avoid any comments like “no fat chicks” or “no short guys”, they make you seem mean and shallow (which are two qualities that nobody wants to spend more time exploring.
Be honest because your time is valuable).
- Avoid talking about things like how many cars you have or things that seem overly materialistic; a real prospective match wants to learn more about you not about your real estate properties.
- If possible link your account to your Instagram, Facebook, or other forms of social media so that people can feel assured that you’re a real person and not a fake account.
Sending The Right Message
So after some extensive browsing you finally spot someone you want to talk to and how you approach them is incredibly important.
Men in particular are incredibly guilty of sending the same one sentence message to multiple woman in hopes of increasing the likelihood of getting a response. This method might work sometimes but it limits your chances of creating a real connection.
- Try to avoid sending messages like “Hey” or “How are you?”, most people get so many of these they just avoid responding.
- This next tip sounds a little silly but if someone is ignoring you please do not keep sending them messages. If they didn’t reply it’s because they didn’t want to! Rejection is a part of dating and a part of life and it’s time to learn how to handle it.
- If you want a real relationship please don’t immediately ask him/her for photos of themselves in provocative positions, just don’t!
As always with online dating and anything concerning the internet your first priority when meeting someone should always be your safety. While there’s no way to be a 100% sure about anyone even people we meet in real life there are plenty of things you can do to reduce risk.
- Never give anyone your address even if they say they are asking so they can send you a gift.
- Whenever you pick a place to meet up make sure it’s a public area with a lot of foot traffic and other people. Pick an area that you know and are familiar with.
- Avoid drinking excessively or doing anything that good impair your ability to leave a bad situation.
Online dating is a fantastic tool to expand your network. With a little bit of knowledge from us matchmakers, we can help you land the girl or guy of your dreams. And remember, if you need some help on that online dating profile, contact us here and let us be your wing girl to navigate the online world.
Are you living in the US or Canada? Checkout our Matchmaking Company Cinqe.com. Our service is more like friends setting up mutual friends on a date. We only recommend people if we feel like there’s something about the two of you that would spark a real connection.
Orange County and Los Angeles Matchmaking Firm
Elite Singles Dating Company, Personal Matchmaker, Private Matchmaker, Orange County Matchmaking, Orange County Singles Events, Los Angeles Singles Happy Hours, Orange County Most Personalized Matchmaking Firm, womens workshops
Co-Founder & Certified Matchmaker at Cinqe: Head hunter for love to professional singles since 2011 who live in the US & Canada. I write about dating, and I share my opinions, research and wisdom on anything that has to do with getting you to find your mate.